- District Durg is formed on January 1, 1906 by taking areas from Raipur and Bilaspur districts. At that time today’s Rajnandgaon and Kabirdham (Kawardha) districts were also part of the Durg district.
- On January 26, 1973 District Durg was divided and separate Rajnandgaon District came into existance. On July 6, 1998 District Rajnandgaon was also divided and new Kabirdham district came into existance.
- Before 1906, Durg is a tehsil of Raipur District.
- At the time of formation of Durg district in 1906, it had Durg, Bemetara and Balod three tehsils.
- District is again divided on January 1, 2012 and two new districts Bemetara and Balod came into existance.